The number of stores where cannabidiol (CBD) products are sold is growing rapidly, with new stores popping up almost overnight it seems. This type of new business seems like a great account to get in front of as quickly as possible, but there are a few things to keep in mind when planning to meet with CBD oil business owners.
As these items continue to grow in popularity, it makes sense that advertising and promotion would follow along. However, for many digital ad platforms, including Google and Facebook, CBD is still considered to be an unapproved pharmaceutical or supplement, making advertising opportunities very limited for companies selling CBD products.
Best Practices for Advertising CBD Products
Programmatic (Audience Targeted Display) advertising is helping CBD companies get the word out about their stores and products, but it needs to be done correctly. Here are a few tips to keep in mind with regard to marketing these businesses:
- To start, be aware of the specific regulations within your state and that of which you plan to advertise.
- For now, any CBD products being advertised must be derived from hemp, not marijuana.
- Do not advertise products that are to be consumed, whether infused in food, drinks, or supplements.
- Do not make any health or medical claims for products within advertisements.
- Ensure your campaign runs with exclusionary zones to avoid advertising to minors such as schools, playgrounds, churches, and more.
- Do not show anyone consuming or using the product within the advertisement.
- Consider working with a lawyer who can help review creative work for compliance, and be flexible with every campaign as policies continue to change and evolve.
Where to Start
Creating a successful campaign by following the above best practices is something we can help with today! Programmatic advertising is currently one of the best ways to begin spreading your client’s message digitally, and we have access to DSP’s that allow this industry’s advertising placements. Additionally, your company’s website may allow this type / category of advertising, so be sure to check with your manager for details!
At Amplified Digital, our media planning and partner development teams are here to help you create a successful campaign to help get the word out about your client’s CBD products. We keep up-to-date on marketing trends and site policies, and ensure your client’s advertising dollars are invested in areas that will provide them with the results they’re looking for.
For more information on advertising CBD products and how we can help, please contact your Partner Devleopment Manager or request a proposal today!